The Dragonfly and Raven

The Dragonfly and Raven

Sunday, March 8, 2015

Darkness Into Darkness

I wandered aimlessly, but no longer. Darkness no longer clouds my mind. A bright light shines through the onyxian murk. Through it, I can see myself. I'm whole again. I wear a robe of scarlet, adorned with rubies, red. Atop my brow lies spectacles, inlaid with aurum and argent. On my head, a thin band of bronze. The familiar smell of home wafts down the passage, one of parchment and freshly cut grass. It provides a slight comfort in the darkness. In the distance, I can see a light.
I walk towards the light, towards myself. With every step, brings pain. My mother is to the left. She is crying, reaching forth with hands of shifting blackness.
“Henry... I love you Henry... Henry...!”
“Mom!”
I reach out, and she dissipates into darkness. Tears begin to flow down my face. I can no longer contain them. I take a step, and then another. My brother appears, calling for help, always in front of me. I grit my teeth, and continue on, but that only makes it worse. An inquisitor appears before his brother, instruments of extraction in hand. He strikes my brother, and uses his pokers to sear the flesh of his chest.
I lunge for the inquisitor, and my brother vanishes. I am alone again.
Reluctantly, I lift my foot up, and push on. My wife appears now, her lovely brown hair cascading down her back, her beautiful green eyes full of tears. Then, a man appears from behind her, and grabs at her. I can hear her scream as he begins to beat her, ripping her dress, and pulling down his pants.
“You're not real... YOU'RE NOT REAL!”
The man looks at me, and smiles. Then, he shoves my wife to the ground, and they both disappear. I sink to my knees, unable to continue. How selfish I am being though. They are all dead, and here I am, unable to walk the rest of the way to freedom. I push myself up, and force myself to continue. At last, I reach the light. It is magnificent, a great beacon in the darkness. I reaches forth to the radiant light. Then, bliss. A euphoria unlike any experienced by man. It was rhapsody
I awake to find myself in a dark cell. My body is bare, save for a tattered linen loincloth. Large iron chains bind my hands together. A ball attached to my ankle. Now, I cry in earnest. What has happened to me? How could the world be so cruel?
I force myself up onto my feet, the chains digging into my skin. I raise the chains binding my arms, and wrap them around my neck. Crossing my arms behind my head, I pull with all my might. It hurts, a pain unlike any I have every experienced. Then, my vision begins to blur. The light begins to fade. Blackness surrounds the edges of the room. My strength fades, and I sink to my knees, but I cannot stop now. With the last of my strength, I pull my arms back, and liberate myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment