The Dragonfly and Raven

The Dragonfly and Raven

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Sleep Well, Bloody Bird

Dark is the night.
My eyes flutter,
Collapsing with exhaustion,
Conceding the fight.

My head falls.
A cannonball assaulting a sandy shore,
It sinks into the feathery folds of my pillow,
Finding, finally, a point of rest.

A man materializes.
Sand spills from pouches at his waist.
He applies arcane powder to the lids of my eyes,
And fades into shadow.

Slumber slowly surrounds my mind,
A slithering snake.
I cast off the bindings of consciousness,
Allowing it to devour me.

Chirp-chirp.

Chirp-chirp.

The snake recoils,
The sand falls from my face,
I rejoin reality.

Bloody bird chirping,
Disrupting the wee hours of the morn.
I repeat the ritual of rest.
Only to be awakened again.

And again.

And again.

Bloody Bird!

No comments:

Post a Comment